Mechanical Engineering News, Mechnical Engineering Conferences, Mechanical Engineering Jobs:
GrabCAD Secures $4 Million
January 4, 2012 - GrabCAD is a marketplace for mechanical engineering services that that liaisons between manufacturers and CAD engineers. The GrabCAD network currently includes about 70,000 mechanical engineers. Mechanical engineering community, GrabCAD, has just announced Series A $4 million financing round let by Matrix Partners.
ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Nov. 11-17, 2011, Denver, Colorado, USA
November, 1 2011 - The 2011 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, event focused on mechanical engineering technology and innovation, will be held Nov. 11-17, 2011, in Denver, Colorado, USA. Congress delivers:
- Key researchers in emerging technology
- Innovators in design and manufacturing
- Industry leaders
- Decision makers who specify,approve, recommend, or buy equipment, components, engineering services, computer hardware, software, and IT products and services
Stirling Engine Workshop, August 22 - 25, 2011, London, UK
August, 1 2011 - The Stirling Engine Workshop will be held August 22 – 25, 2011, London, UK. There is a lot of recent interest in the use of the Stirling engine due to its high efficiency. Stirling-cycle engines were invented in the beginning of 19th century and were commonly used until arrival of Otto cycle engine. Stirling engines are external combustion engines designed as sealed systems with an inert working fluid, usually either helium or hydrogen.
The workshop addresses technical challenges that have delayed adoption of Stirling engine technology:
- Low-leakage piston rings and bearings for operation in the unlubricated working engine space
- Long-term durability/reliability and high cost
- Shaft seals to separate the high pressure hydrogen space from the lubrication in the mechanical drive train
- Minimization of material stress and corrosion in the high temperature/high pressure heater head
- Blockage of fine-meshed heat matrices used in the regenerator assemblies with particles/fines generated through the rubbing action of piston rings
New materials and technologies may breathe new life into the Sterling engine which has unique advantages for applications in the space, auto and marine industries, as well as in distributed power applications.
Attendance to this event is by personal invitation only. We are fully booked, no more registrations accepted. This announcement appears as a matter of record only.
Mechanical Enginnering Job Perspectives
- Mechnical engineers are are always in demand.
- Employment of computer engineers is expected to increase by 4 percent on annual basis in the period 2013-2018.
- Job prospects with mechanical engineering degrees and multidisciplinary background in computers or optics are especially bright.
- Today mechanical engineers are expected to know computer-aided engineering (CAE) programs and use them for design and analysis of mechanical systems, including 2D and 3D solid modeling computer-aided design (CAD)
What do the Mechanical Engineers do?
Mechanical engineers analyze, research, design, develop, manufacture, and test tools, engines, machines and mechanisms. Mechanical engineering comprises design of power-producing machines such as electric generators, internal combustion engines, and steam and gas turbines;
as well as design of power-using machines such as refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment, machine tools, material-handling systems, elevators and escalators, industrial production equipment, and robotics.
Precision engineering is a subdiscipline of mechanical engineering dealing with designing machines, mechanism and mechanical parts that have exceptionally low tolerances, are repeatable, and are stable over time. Precision engineering has applications in machine tools, MEMS, NEMS, optoelectronics design, and many other fields.
Mechanical engineers support manufacturing, maintenance, or technical sales. Mechanical engineering education is often a must for managers marketing mechanical equipment. Mechanical engineering is one of the major and broadest engineering fields incorporating the principles of physics and materials science for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems.Mechanical engineers design tools used in other fields.
Mechanical engineers begin by analyzing users' needs, and then design, test, and develop machines and mechanisms to meet those needs. During this process they create drafts, diagrams, flowcharts and other documentation, and may also create the operation and maintenance manuals.
Mechanical engineers learn basic disciplines such as chemistry, physics, and specialised engineering courses such as chemical engineering, civil engineering, and electrical engineering. Most mechanical engineering programs include calculus, differential equations, partial differential equations, linear algebra, abstract algebra, and differential geometry, among others. In addition to the core mechanical engineering curriculum, many mechanical engineering programs offer more specialized programs and classes, such as robotics, precise mechanics, transport and logistics, cryogenics, fuel technology, automotive engineering, biomechanics, vibration and optics.
Today mechanical engineers are expected to know computer-aided engineering (CAE) programs and use them for design and analysis of mechanical systems, including 2D and 3D solid modeling computer-aided design (CAD). CAD increases productivity of machine designer and provides better visualization of products, the ability to create virtual assemblies of parts, and the ease of use in designing mating interfaces and tolerances.
Earnings Distribution by Mechanical Engineers in the U.S.
- Lowest 10% $48,000
- Lowest 25% $60,000
- Median $75,000
- Highest 25% $95,000
- Highest 10% $115,000